Electrical emergencies need an immediate response
The home is one of the most common places for electrical emergencies to occur. Needless to say, they put your home and family at risk, yet is unlikely to call when a problem doesn’t need immediate assistance. Telling the difference between a serious electrical problem and a small issue isn’t as obvious as it may seem. Small, seemingly unimportant issues like blackened wall plugs can quickly escalate into more severe problems like an electrical short or house fire.
If you ever experience one of the electrical emergencies below, contact a professional electrician immediately.
1) Blacked Devices
If you’ve noticed one of your switches is melting or slightly discoloured, it’s time to call an electrician immediately. Symptoms like these are often early signs of a problem with the in-wall wiring, which can worsen into a more severe electrical problem.
2) Smoking Fixtures
A smoking fixture is a sign of a problem with the wiring that connects your main electrical system to the fixture itself. This can cause immediate damage to your home’s electrical system, ruin your light fixture, and potentially cause a fire. If you ever notice a fixture is smoking or smells as though it is burning, have it checked by a professional immediately.
3) Circuit Overloads
An overloaded circuit will stress your main electrical panel. When too many devices are plugged into an outlet at once, it can “overload” the capacity for that breaker. An overloaded breaker will usually trip, however older breakers may be more at risk of catching fire or causing other problems within the circuit. Call for immediate electrical assistance if you lose power in one or more rooms after plugging in a device or appliance.
4) Lightning Strikes
Lightning strikes in Australia are a common occurrence, and on some occasions they do hit homes directly. If your home has been hit by lighting, emergency response will be needed to check for potential fire hazards and determine what kind of damage has been sustained. We suggest waiting outside of your home until an emergency response team arrives, just in case an electrical fire breaks out while you’re waiting.
5) Exposed Wiring
According to Better Health Channel, electrical incidents kill or injure roughly 16 Australians per week. If you’ve discovered exposed wiring in your home, do not touch it! Coming into contact with an exposed or damaged wire can shock you or create sparks that cause a fire. Contact a professional to determine if anything has been damaged and to replace it safely.
6) Power Outages
Being left in the dark isn’t fun. If you’ve lost power in one of your rooms (or your whole home) having someone on hand to troubleshoot the problem and return power is a matter of both comfort and safety.
Electrical emergencies need to be taken seriously, and you should never try to correct any electrical issue yourself. If you’re experiencing any of the electrical emergencies above, or another problem that you believe is dangerous to your omen or family, contact us now for 24-hour assistance.